MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — An analysis of truck parking availability in the US by Trucker Path has shed new light on the issue.
Trucker Path, which developed a widely used app that allows truck drivers to upload truck parking spot availability in real-time, says the shortage of truck parking will only get worse when the industry mandates electronic logging devices (ELDs) in December 2017.
The analysis by Trucker Path found that 12% of truck parking locations along the national highway system in the US are empty during peak hours on weekdays from 11 p.m. till 4 a.m. and 24% have empty spots, for a total of 36% availability. Trucker Path says more than 30% of Class 8 drivers can access the information via its Trucker Path Pro app. There are 400,000 active users posting 136,000 updates per week on available parking locations.
“The data makes it incredibly clear that access to information is key to addressing the truck parking shortage,” says Ivan Tsybaev, founder of Trucker Path. “Our crowdsourcing technology obtains updates from multiple users at each location to verify parking status and deliver highly accurate, real-time trip planning tools to professional drivers.”
The Trucker Path app also allows drivers to rate truck stops. The top nine locations based on 26,405 truck stops reviewed by users in the first quarter of this year are: